Thursday, September 7, 2017

Waste Of Tomatoes, And Other Food

After blogging this, I'm going to go out to the garden and water.  There are vegetables there, I think.  They are still good, or at least salvageable, I think.  Really, I have no instructions from my parents as to what to do with them besides not ignore them.  So, since I have the time, I might as well go out and water them.

They cut down what they planted to tomatoes and melons -- I think; where are the melons?  I don't know if it's because they knew they wouldn't be here to harvest them or because I am so lousy and indifferent to tending to them.  Nevertheless, looking out my window I see a pair of vines with some discolored tomatoes.  Meanwhile, my folks plucked some unripened ones and set them in a basket on the kitchen counter.  They told me that once they're ripe to put it in the fridge.  But when is it ripe?  Oh man, do I have to look it up on the Internet?

But wait, there's more!  There is a paper bag in the refrigerator filled with tomatoes -- both the regular-sized ones and some baby tomatoes.  They tell me to use them for the salad; there's lettuce in the fridge they left for me, too.  But frankly, goddammit, I'm not hungry enough to eat them, at least not yet.  They didn't leave me, like, an apocalypse-level of food.  But, for example, there are pork chops in there that I haven't completely finished.  Then, alongside the lettuce and tomatoes, there are eggs that will probably spoil soon (don't know how I can tell -- another thing I need to look up on the Internet!).  And there are ribs in the freezer.  At least I'll have time to eat those.

Hey, I love leftovers because they're free.  But man cannot live on bread alone; last night I went out to eat.  It was at our alumni club's game-watching site, and I needed to go to make sure we can watch our games there, but I wanted to eat outside, too.  I simply can't just eat and eat and eat and eat all the shit my parents have here.  I just can't!  And so, yes, good, decent, innocent tomatoes and all the other food might spoil before I have a chance to eat them.  I don't know what to do.

And no, I don't feel guilty enough to eat leftovers tonight.  It's the beginning of the professional football season, and I want to celebrate by getting a lot of fast food and bringing it home.

No comments:

Post a Comment