Thursday, August 16, 2018

Did She Honk At Me?

So I was getting out of the house and trying to work my way home.  The parking lot leads right out to a stoplight and the on-ramps.  But this, uh, inlet is really narrow.  There is enough space where, if you're leaving, you have two lanes, one to go straight or left, the other to go right.

I need to take a left in order to get home, so I tried to nose as close to the center of this inlet as I could without blocking any cars that want to come in.  And while I was moseying on over, I heard a honk behind me.  There was a car that veered around me and onto the other lane because it wanted to take a right.  I didn't move because I thought I had moved over enough.

Curious, I looked over to see if I could see the driver before she or he drove off.  And I could ... and by God, I swear it looked like one of my co-workers -- specifically, one of the two co-workers who helped me a lot in my training yesterday as I was going neck-deep into this new task I am supposed to learn how to do.  In fact, she was very proactive in helping me, pointing out things I didn't know and telling me things that actually would come up the more I do this task.

Was she the one who honked at me?  If so -- well, holy shit, that just proves that you really don't know someone.  A woman who seemed so helpful at work can be a terror on the road.  Moreover, this is a fresh example of a particularly awkward nightmare I have: That I will get into a road rage incident with someone I know.  (To play devil's advocate, there is a chance that she did not honk at me, that the honk I thought I heard is something I just made up.)

We'll see tomorrow, I guess.  Or we won't.  She could cut me off on my way into work and then be an angel as we sit at our desks, and she might not reconcile either side of her dual personality at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment