Wednesday, August 22, 2018

The First False Note At Work

I didn't need to hear what my supervisor said at the end of work yesterday.  In fact, it's fair to say he blindsided me.  First time at this job; guess that means the honeymoon is over.

We're finishing up.  I'm noticing these days that we finish up our work before my eight hours, and so I need to find something to do.  There is a task that the other full-timers are doing, but I haven't been trained on that, and I still haven't.  (If not getting trained on this task continues and/or worsens into a big problem, I'll blog about it here later.)

Instead, there is a training module I need to get through, so I figure that I can while away the minutes doing that.  I put my headphones on to listen to the module when I hear my supervisor calling out my name.  He's telling me I can leave early.  He's said that on several occasions since I started work, but since I'm working hourly, leaving early means that I don't get paid, so fuck that, I'm doing training.  And this motherfucker thinks I don't get it, so he says, "Man, we're trying to tell you that I don't want you here!"

Excuse me, asshole?!

See, this is where the angry part of me (or, in other words, I) would lash out at him.  But I knew he was joking.  Or is he?  Man, I can't tell.  Anyway, that fucking rubs me the wrong way.  I don't give a shit if he says it in jest; I don't want to be told I'm not wanted.  And I sure as hell won't leave early and give up money I need for hours I was promised I would work.

I told him I was doing training, so he left me alone and I got to stay until I was supposed to leave.  But man, just ... goddamn, I hate that he said that.  It really fuckin' bothers me.  And now I wonder if there is more passive-aggressive bullshit that will emanate from his mouth in the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment