Saturday, August 18, 2018

The Rigmarole

I am working this morning (actually in a few hours) for the Vikings game, even though I should be putting in my shift at my new job.  I told my boss about this when he interviewed me over the phone, and he was OK with this.

Here's how the process was explained to me, however.  This company has a set number of hours, or Paid Time Off (PTO, but most of you know that).  This company is extremely generous with their PTO.  In fact, even though I just started, I'm already using it for this weekend.  However, as this is shift work, there are production goals to be met, and therefore a standard number of people who should be there.

As far as I can tell, they are OK if there are more people who beg for a day off.  It's not like it's going to force everyone who does show up into an extra, like, four hours of overtime in order to get everything done in time.  But they have only so many people they can approve PTO for each day.  I was approved yesterday/Friday, but not today/Saturday because people have already been given permission to take the day off.

I told my boss this, and they're still OK with me taking today off.  I just have to do one thing: I have to call just before my shift begins and tell my other boss that I'm calling in sick.  That's all.  I have to call in sick.

This raises a few questions.  The first one is, do I call in sick, or do I ... "call in sick?"  I have not told my other boss that I need to take today off for my other job.  But both of my bosses share the same office, so I can't help but believe he has already told her.  But has he?  If so, do I have to fake it?

And that brings me to my second, and more important, question.  If my boss knows about me missing Saturday, why do I have to call in this morning to say so?  Don't they already know I have an unapproved absence coming up?  Do I have to go through the ... rigmarole (I thought it was spelled "rigAmarole") of calling in if she already knows I'm not coming in?  I asked my supervisor this on Thursday and he said, while shaking his head, that I had to.

Alright.  Guess I have to.  Feels unnecessary, but this is ultimately a point of bureaucracy I'll deal with.  Now I just have to remember to bleeping do it.  Because if not, I'll get into a heap of trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment