Friday, January 18, 2019

Apparently They Stopped Caring

I set up a night for my alumni club to go to a Timberwolves game.  The idea was conceived by a T-Wolves sales representative, who contacted the alumni association of my alma mater, who contacted me and put us in touch with each other.  As someone who has, from time to time, begged people from the club to help organize events, this was a gift from heaven.

Got some tickets sold -- a dozen, I think.  And when I get there, only five people show up.  A lot of no-shows, but hey, the team got some money, so they were happy, and for an event that I didn't plan, getting four other people to show up made me happy.  I thought it was a success, so I immediately told the sales rep we're doing it again next year.

Almost a year to the day, I am going to go to our chapter's Wolves game tonight.  And there is only one other person who has bought a ticket.  Despite all my promotion, there's only one dude.  God bless him, for he goes to just about everything we hold.  But none of the other people who came last year bought, and none of the people who no-showed last year bought, and none of the others in the club bought.  Two dudes, and that's it.

Fuck me.  I have no idea what I did wrong.  Did I not promote enough?  Were the tickets, which are worse than the ones we had last year, a turn-off?  Do people now know who I really am and vowed to never be around me?  Yeah, maybe it's not my fault and people have their own reasons for not coming.  Regardless, this is an event that no one gives a damn about, and considering that we had a bunch of interest last year, I feel humiliated, frankly.

And I don't know what to do.  Actually, I think I know what to do: Try again next year.  I remember my predecessor as president say this: Regardless of turnout, keep posting events because it's important to let people know the club is active.  So, with that, I will swallow my pride, go to tonight's game, hope for a win (I say it's 50-50), and tell that rep afterward via e-mail (or before the game if he's at Target Center) that I want to do this again -- to make this right -- next season.

And hopefully he won't shoot me down because we didn't sell tickets for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment