Monday, January 28, 2019

Winter Has Come

So the most wicked 1-2 punch we've had in many a winter has commenced, although the "1" felt like sort of a miss.  The snow that was coming came late; the Winter Storm Warning began at 3 yesterday, but I went to the final of the U.S. Pond Hockey Championships (although it was bitterly cold), Target, home and my aunt and uncle's place without nary a flake in sight.  It was snowing heavily once I left dinner at my relatives' a bit past 8, but when I woke up this morning and checked out the snow totals online, I see we got about, oh, maybe more than four inches.  Forecasts said that we would get socked with at least six and maybe get up to 12.  I have yet to step outside, but I'm not sure if I need to use the snowblower, even though I kind of think I should try to use it for the first time this winter.

Now, the "2" -- the cold.  We are in a Wind Chill (is it two words or one?) Advisory from 3 tomorrow/Tuesday morning until 3 that afternoon.  But then it gets worse: Right after that Advisory, we are in a Wind Chill Warning from 3 tomorrow afternoon Thursday at 9 a.m.  At its worst, around 3 a.m. Wednesday morning, the windchill here is supposed to reach, get this, -55.  The last time the WC was lower than that was the mid-eighties.

This week will test my adage that I would rather have the snow than the cold.  Right after finishing this, I will go out and clear my driveway of snow.  Hopefully it's not really cold right now.  But I have to work, and the trips out to the car the next three mornings may actually be dangerous.  And this brutal cold will not dissuade me from sleeping in my car for lunch, or at least trying to.

And, huh, this weekend we're going to be above freezing with a chance of rain.  Oh, God. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment