Friday, April 19, 2019

Losing As Trauma

Went to an MNUFC watch party just now at a swanky spot in downtown Minneapolis.  I don't have much money, but I really needed a haircut, and since I spent money for the cut, I decided to spend more by going to a game with fellow Loonies and having myself a beer.

For the second game in a row (the first being Saturday's tilt against NYCFC that opened Allianz Field), United FC were involved in a back-and-forth barn-burner ... and also gave up the final Goal.  Against NYCFC it was the one that made the match a draw.  This time around, vs. Toronto FC, it was one that made the match a loss -- one where they took the first lead, coughed up two Goals to fall behind at Halftime, scored two Goals to get back up on top, then give up the final two Goals to go from winning three Points to winning zero.  Oh, and two of our guys got red-carded in the dying moments of the game at BMO Field.

And frankly, it has soured my mood ever since.  One of the lingering thoughts I have in my head is, "Why in the hell am I spending so much money on a team that sucks?"  I'm not a die-hard.  I may be a season-ticket holder, but if the losing continues like this for the next ... oh, year or two, why should I stay one?  I get no joy from my team losing games, especially in the way they did tonight.  This feels like throwing my money, which I don't have much of right now, down the sewer drain.

You know what?  This is not an unfamiliar feeling.  I may be a STH for the first time ever with the Loons, but I have paid a pretty penny for big games from Minnesota sports teams, and more often than not ... OK, usually my teams lose.  And I get the same humiliating, traumatic feeling walking out of the stadium or arena like I have now: Why in the fuck do I do this to myself?

Listen to The Common Man Progrum every day, and he came up with the acronym AVATAR, a "syndrome" which stands for Anticipatory Vikings ... I don't remember the rest.  But it has something to do with living and dying with the Vikings to the point where defeats mean your day, and possibly your life, is ruined.  Common's point is, Why in the hell are you allowing a sports team, consisting of people who don't know you even exist, to affect you so deeply?

He's right.  I have, uh, ALATAR syndrome, bad, and right now I can't shake it.  Dan Cole's cure is to just let go, even turning off the TV and not listening, so it's easier to stop caring about Twin Cities teams that'll only break your heart.  I should take his advice, even though, as an STH, it's -- well, it's impossible.  But really, more dumbshit losses like this and you're damn right I'll walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment