Friday, June 7, 2019

Of Mother's Miles And Attachments

A couple months ago Mother asked me to retrieve for both her and Father miles from third-party airlines while they were dinkin' around the Far East over the turn of the year.  I'm still not done.  It's a pain in the ass, moreso when I try to forget about it.

I did want to help out, and it was relatively easy.  My parents had only Delta's rewards account to deal with, and all I needed to do was fill out the online form.  Then I (through my parents' e-mails) said that they needed proof, namely PDFs of the ticket stubs.  So I went to the library, scanned those stubs, then attached them in e-mails.  But my folks took so many damn trips that Mother just inundated with me ... crap.  Not just stubs but receipts too, and those she e-mailed to me.

Oh, those receipts, which showed their itineraries and had the booking numbers that Delta needs, those were the real burrs in my side.  It took me weeks to figure out how to send those in.  Finally, the easy solution dawned on me: Print out those receipts, then scan them, then send them in as attachments.  I know that's simple, but it took me weeks to figure it out, and then weeks to set aside the time to do them.

And I'm not done because there are so many trips they took, I'm not sure if I have sent in the paperwork for all of them.  Now some flights they took through airlines that don't partner with Delta; those I don't care about, even though I don't which ones those are.  But I have a nagging suspicion that there are flights that I put in requests on their behalf for which the airline is still awaiting proof, and I am currently not aware that they want it.

So I procrastinate and worry instead of figuring it out.  Yep, sounds like a plan I'll continue to execute.

No comments:

Post a Comment