Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Waste Of Food And Thus Money

Wanted to make a sandwich last/Tuesday night, not because I was hungry but because there were just two pieces of bread left and, even though I saw Thor: Love And Thunder while eating popcorn and drinking pop, I thought I could wolf those down and throw away the sandwich bag.

There is a sizable bag of pepperoni that my parents bought and threw in the freezer once they left.  I think we've had that bag for months, and I kept that bag in the fridge side for weeks now.  I bought those processed cheese slices, a couple of Buddig bags that, for some reason, don't zip up, and ten slices of Havarti cheese that did zip up.  I bought the Buddigs and the Havarti at least a month ago because I had bought a whole loaf of bread, and I could use the bread to eat peanut butter and jelly every single time.

So back to knocking out the last of the loaf.  I toasted the two pieces.  Once done, I took one out and smeared mayonnaise on it.  Then I threw in one slice of the Buddigs, a slice of the processed cheese, and nine pieces of pepperoni.  I was opening the bag of Havarti cheese when, dammit, I noticed mold.  There were a couple of slices that didn't have any of that green stuff on it, but as they say, when in doubt, throw it out.  And I did.  Had to do the same thing with the other Buddig; it had a fingertip of green with that frosted white circled around it.  I don't know how this Buddig got spoiled when the other one didn't.  I mean, I cut open both and had trouble finding ways to close the bags.

So instead of six different things, I ate my sandwich with only four different things.  I don't feel sick or anything, so I hope to Buddha I didn't ingest any mold that I could not yet see.  But I do feel hot and sweaty, however; don't know if it's inflammation from my body fighting the invisible mold.

Anyway, this is what I was afraid of -- buying food to eat at home because eating out gets expensive, but I don't eat that food fast enough.  I bought the Havarti and the Buddig because I wanted to save money, but it looks as if I still eat out way too often, apparently, because that deli meat and cheese was sitting in the refrigerator to the point where it spoiled.  But will throwing money in the trash convince me I should eat at home even more?  Probably not.

Saying that, I bought a half-gallon of 2% milk about three weeks ago, at least.  I will try to remember to drink a cup in the morning.  Hope it doesn't smell funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment