Tuesday, July 30, 2024

The Final Phase Of Training Begins, And Now, Maybe, I Should Go

My schedule is getting modified again.  Well, it's always getting switched around because people are taking days off.  But this month I am seeing one of the people who have the same schedule as me being trained in The Fourth Department for the first half of the next three weeks.  In some of the past several weeks I have worked The Fourth Department Tuesdays and Wednesdays then been in The Main Department Thursdays and Fridays, and some weeks have been vice versa.  But Mondays I have always been in The Fourth Department because I am the only one fully trained back there who works Mondays.  For at least the next three Mondays, I won't be there, because she will be training back there.

It always takes a while, but I am sure that this is the final phase of training for her.  However long it takes, by the times this round of training is done, I think she will be fully signed off on working The Fourth Department on her own.  That means that there will now be two people who work Mondays who can work back there.  Makes sense to have a back-up, sure.  But I'm still thinking about how my co-worker got the axe out of the blue from The Third Department.  The workload there now falls one person, and one person cannot do the job by her- or himself.  But the company apparently doesn't care.  And so that leads me to believe that they don't think they really need two people who can do the job in The Fourth Department on Mondays.

Maybe I'm being paranoid.  But I have thought that once my colleague is fully up to speed back there, I need to look out for myself because now, if the company truly wants to be cutthroat, there is no reason for me to be working there (meaning the entire company) any longer.  And really, why wouldn't they fire me?  I have snatched overtime here and there, even though I can honestly say it's because of work.  And yet, they can see I scour the Internet from time to time.  I don't think I have the greatest attitude.  Plus I've been around long enough that I'm making more money than some other people, so cutting me would be cost-effective.

---

Starting Thursday there is a new attendance policy that tightens up the leeway you get for being late.  I can see myself running so afoul of this policy that, according to the policy, I could get fired for tardiness.

There are multiple signs, my co-worker getting fully trained being the latest/last of them, that I should move on.  There are a lot of advantages to this job.  For example, when I have been looking for other work, I still have yet to find a full-time job where data entry is a key component.  This may be the only company in the state that has that.  But as much as I want to ignore it, there are a bunch of red flags that should compel me to move on.

And maybe I should.  And maybe I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment