Wednesday, July 31, 2024

I'm Everywhere This Week And I Don't Wanna Because It's Too Darn Hot

It's hot out there.  Humid, too.  Just spent an evening outside at Allianz Field.  I checked my Weather application in the Second Half; the damn dew point was 71 degrees.  And this was past 9 p.m.!  It was so frickin' hot and humid out there I had thoughts that I wouldn't make it.  I did, and it helped that the Loons won their Leagues Cup Match over Necaxa, 1-0, on an unreal 16-Save performance by Dayne St. Clair in goal.  But it wasn't comfortable, by no means.

It's been steamy the past several days, and that is affecting what I want to do.  There were a couple concerts last weekend that I thought about going to -- Dawes on Friday, Big Head Todd and the Monsters Saturday, both in the western suburb of Plymouth -- but that was in an amphitheater setting, and I didn't think I wanted to spend several hours in the haze and the moistness of the outdoors.  A part of me thought I was being a wuss, but spending about three hours at the Match has convinced me I made the right choice eschewing those concerts.

Unfortunately, I have already bought a ticket to the Vampire Weekend concert for tonight/Wednesday night, the second of two nights in downtown Minneapolis for the band.  It's at the Armory (the old home of The Minneapolis Lakers), so it's indoors, but I still don't relish finding free parking downtown and then taking a long, long walk to get to the venue, let alone the long, long walk to get back to my car.  It'll help that I'll be returning to my car under cover of night when the oppressive Sun is beating down on me as I try to make it to the Armory, but the air is going to remain so thick it's not going to be that much of a relief.

It's impossible to predict the weather months out in advance, like I did when buying the concert ticket, but if I knew it was going to feel this soupy, I wouldn't've bought it.  Maybe the younger me would've been gung ho about going.  But I'm just not.  I don't think I can tolerate this type of weather now that I'm as old as I am.  (There's another wrinkle: Just saw the forecast on the rerun of the nightly news and there's a storm that will blow through here in the evening.  It looks as though it'll be done around here by the time Vampire Weekend starts their set.  I'll wait out the storm and head downtown when the coast is clear.  And if I miss a good chunk of VW, so be it -- I've already sunk money into the ticket.)

Add to it that I'm taking my parents to the airport tomorrow/Thursday morning and this would've been an ideal time to just get home from work and wrap myself in my bed until I have to get up in the morning.  I'm just so darn busy in the evening this week when I don't want to deal with this exhausting weather.  But I must, even if I'm dead tired when the alarm wakes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment