Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Just My Bad Luck

So with school freaking me out and me about to be cast off into the unemployment wilderness soon yet again, I'm desperate to find a way to get easy money, and hopefully get famous in the process.

I have a friend from college whose method of contact these days is sending me several e-mails about sweepstakes he enters.  I enter them on occasion, but I get the feeling that he does this all day in order to find money to get by.  Not making fun of him or anything, but in the last decade I have made it a point not to ask what he is doing for a job nowadays.  He, like me, probably is embarrassed the journalism degree has not panned out to a front-of-the-camera job by now.  So he's going the sweepstakes route, and I can't say I blame him.

One of these things is not really a sweepstakes, but entry into a game show: Sports Jeopardy!, apparently hosted by Dan Patrick.  Last night I read my friend's e-mail that the show is hosting an online audition/test.  That's right up my alley.  Not only do I know sports, but I love game shows, and (pipe dream) I get to be on TV and hopefully use my brain to win cash and prizes.  So this was one of the few times I took my friend up on his quasi-junk e-mails and registered online.

The test started last (Tuesday) night at 9 Central.  I thought I had all the time in the world to get to a coffeeshop, plug in and take the test after finishing up early from the night job, which ended last (Tuesday) night.  I thought it would end early Tuesday night -- in fact, I didn't think we'd be there more than an hour, which meant I actually would have time to stop by a restaurant, get a quick bite to eat while watching the NBA Draft Lottery (the Timberwolves actually get the #1 pick?  God doesn't hate us!), then mosey on over to Caffetto to get some coffee and pie and kick ass on Sports Jeopardy!

One problem: We weren't there just for an hour.  I thought I had heard the boss announce the number of papers left to score, and from that I estimated that we barely had enough work to even come in.  Well, either she gave the wrong number, I didn't hear her right or I made the wrong calculation, because after she told us how many papers were left to do, we would be there for way more than an hour.

So, in a practice I usually do not do, I actually sped up my production at the end of the project.  I had to do my part in order to get out in time to the coffeeshop in order to set myself up for the online audition.  My new estimation wasn't good: We would get out at 9, the same exact time as the test.  If that were the case, at least I would be assured that I wouldn't have time to even take the test.

But unfortunately we got out at 8:30, the magic hour where I may or may not be too late, goddammit.  As soon as my boss let us go, I hauled ass to my car and out onto the highway.  I was looking at my digital car clock and hoping to avoid red lights and slow cars.

I made it about five minutes to 9, so I dashed into Caffetto (where I started this blog post) and before I order, I turn on my computer and get online.  And I open up the Sports Jeopardy! e-mail with the link to the audition page, click on the link ... and I wait.  And then I get the crash screen.  Reason: Too long to respond.  That happens when there are so many people on the page they can't take anymore viewers.

I was too late, apparently way too late.  I wonder if I just sauntered onto the site, like, five minutes before the test started if I would be late then, too.  Quite possible.  Or maybe I'm wishfully thinking that this was some unforeseen blindside and not the Fates wanting to tease me into thinking if I really, really tried I could make it in time so they could screw me over.  Yeah, that's probably it.

No comments:

Post a Comment