Monday, May 4, 2015

OK, Shit's Getting Real About Getting New Wheels

Doing my research I quickly got overwhelmed.  There are so many things to think of when buying a car.  There are also many ways to buy a car.  Realizing that, I laid down Saturday night.

I narrowed my choices.  I thought about leasing, because that would get me away from getting frustrated over constantly bringing my car back in to get it fixed.  But after figuring out the payments, the total amount I would fork over to use a new car for two or three years isn't dissimilar to the amount I've spent on keeping up my old car.  Then I looked at the bargain lot from the Chevrolet dealer just down the street.  There is a 2004 Toyota that I could get for four grand.  Toyotas run forever, and although they're not sexy, all I really want is a reliable car that can get me wherever I want to go.  Finally, I thought about going to my bank today (Monday) to get a car loan -- about five grand, and I would pay it off over five years at the manageable rate of over $100 every month.  That, along with "some help" from my parents, would stretch me to a newer, lesser-mileage car that would be both dependable and would last a ways, say for something from 10-2 grand.

But today, when we visited my brother and sister-in-law's new place for the first time, it was decided for me.  And the decision was none of the above.  My Father asked my brother what car they should get for me, and then my brother told me to offer every single dealership in town a single, non-negotiable price for which we would purchase this model he recommended some time this week.  I have e-mailed them all tonight; I put Father's contact information on the forms so they could (preferably) call him while he is free for the day.

Let's leave aside the monetary aspects of buying a car.  I just hope this works, because I can totally imagine all of the dealerships basically saying "Fuck you" and not return my request for information.  Then we'll have to figure out how in the hell all three of us are supposed to share one car.

No comments:

Post a Comment