Monday, August 13, 2018

As My Day Planner Fades Into Obsolesence

Oh, I need to talk about this!

So I have been using my Franklin Quest day planner a lot less over the years.  Started using it on the recommendation of my high school friend.  But ever since the advent of blogging and Wailing And Failing I have largely jotted all my musings here.  My time has warped how much, uh, time I can commit with organizing my day and life through my FQ as well, to the point where it's now a place where I write down what I spend in cash, as well as, literally, a binder in which all the receipts I collect I can wrap.

There was one other thing I could use my day planner for: Listing tasks for the day.  In that sense it was still a godsend, even though I listed tasks sparingly throughout the year.  Sometimes, though, I knew my tomorrow as going to be hectic and therefore I needed to remember all the stuff I needed to do.  Hence, a page a day (or week, depending on what format I buy for the year) where I could jot down where I need to go and what I need to do.  And then I can label priorities on them.  And then, on that day, I could (if I were enterprising enough) look back and see what else I need to do, or come face-to-face with what I wanted to do but couldn't.

I can't do that this year.  For the past few years, to cut down on paper and cost, I have gone from a daily format (where each day has two pages) to weekly (where each week has two pages).  What I did not know when I bought the Original Weekly format planner for 2018 is that, for some reason, through some crooked scheme, they removed the page where you could list tasks for the whole week.  I was able to use that with some efficiency.  In fact, since I don't list things every day, having one page of lines to use for the whole week seemed to be a better use of pages.  But for this year I have no space in which to list my tasks.

While subtle, the difference is astonishing.  For the whole year I have not been able to organize my tomorrow.  I can't jot down a list; instead, I try to organize things in my head -- and, frequently, I forget those tasks the next day.  I'm living and upright, sure, but since January 1 I kind of don't know what I'm doing.  And that's not a good way to go through life.

So I wonder if this is just a one-time quirk, something new for the Original design of the Weekly, or if all Daily Tasks pages have been removed from all Weekly formats.  If it's the third thing, that's ridiculous.  Just because I can only afford a Weekly format doesn't mean I can't use a Daily Tasks page each week.  I'll just have to spring for the Daily version for 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment