Sunday, December 5, 2010

I Don't Trust My Own Judgement

So this morning I go to the Division III quarterfinal matchup between St. Thomas and Bethel.  It's in a beautiful small stadium nestled into a quiet neighborhood in St. Paul.  My team lost.  Anyway, while I'm waiting in line, one of the guys there say that there's another ticket window with a smaller line on the other side.  So I trudge through the snow to get there.  I'm going as fast as I can, but up upon my right side there's this guy, and when we get to the end of this new line he cuts me off.

As loudly as possible to show my disgust at his disrespectful act, from behind I shout, "After you."  And I didn't make a point of picking up the glove he dropped.

So he gets to the front of the line and he waits over by the side, along with the kid who picked up his glove and a couple others.  Another guy in front of him, an older gentleman, puts his hand out toward this group, as if to say, "Wait here."  Oh.  The asshole who cut in front of me is just a kid; he was trying to catch up with his family.

The young man who picked up his older brother's glove glowered at me.

---

After the loss was over, I had the worst thing I could possibly have at that point: Free time.  I didn't know if I should get coffee at the mall or closer to the U.  (I was going to make a tripleheader of games in which I have a rooting interest in -- Minnesota-Creighton tournament volleyball, then USC-UCLA.)  Complicating things is that both places, while easy to reach campus from, take different places to reach from St. Paul.

However, I don't know if I thought that part through.  Instead, after closing my eyes in my car for about half an hour, I drove out of the parking ramp and was immediately confronted with a choice: straight ahead or take a left?  My decision would basically alter what I do until the game.  But I have my dick in my hands, therefore I have no idea what to do, therefore I just keep going straight because I'm in that lane and I haven't put my turn signal on.

I then get lost for a good 20 minutes finding my way to the mall.

---

So I get into the parking ramp for the volleyball game.  (And by the way, I spent $15 on parking last night, and almost $30 this weekend.  I still hate paying for parking.  And I despise the fact that there was a goddamn snowstorm that forced me to pay for parking.)  I parked in the basement, so I have no idea where to go.  But I don't want to follow the guy who also is leaving the parking structure, plus I don't think he's going the right way, so I walk across the ramp to the stairs at a different corner than that guy.

And I get to street level, I'm farther away from the Sports Pavilion than I would have been if I follwed that guy.  My sense of direction blows.

No comments:

Post a Comment