Thursday, December 30, 2010

Too Much Food

We already have too much food in the house.  My parents are being hypocritical when they say Grandmother's the one to buy stuff we don't eat when they do a lot of the same -- pastries, sauces and spreads, and especially things that are on sale.

It's gotten worse this holiday season:
  • One of my parents' vendors sends home an annual gift basket.  This year's a huge one, a bouquet of chocolates.
  • Before my sister and brother-in-law visited for vacation they asked me if I wanted anything from Switzerland.  I said chocolates.  I think the presumption is only one.  My folks possibly asked for more, but one night I came up from downstairs and saw my sis display all these chocolates they brought over.
  • I didn't help when I went to Godiva yesterday and, in a hands-out gesture for givine me a free chocolate every month, I bought four truffles for five bucks.  We have millions of pieces of chocolate floating around our house, and I buy four more.  And I got a free piece for December, too.  I ate three pieces of chocolate before leaving the Megamall.
  • Finally, my sister and brother-in-law, disguised as a way to get Father feeling good before asking his permission to get married again, took the entire family out to Fogo de Chão, the Brazilian steakhouse.  I'll explain the gist of the place this way: It's a meat buffet that comes to your table.  You have a disk.  If you flip it on its red side, you want no meat.  If you flip it on its green side, every single "gaucho" with a skewer will come over to your table and offer you the slice of beef, pork or lamb they have.  At our hungriest, all of us flipped our disks green.  My God, the scene of every single "gaucho" at our table, serving us these succulent cuts of beef, was like ants coming out of hibernation in the spring, descending on a piece of food dropped on our floor.  And we were full.  A good full, but full.
  • When we left, we were given three boxes of this Brazilian cake.  I'm so grateful for the idea that Fogo de Chão would give us something after we paid our bill, but food was the last thing we needed.  Next week for sure I'm taking one of those boxes to Second Harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment