Saturday, December 28, 2013

Rejected For Vikings Game

Well, I guess I shouldn't say I got rejected; I just never got called to work stats or run for them tomorrow, the final game at the Metrodome as we know it.  If I recall correctly, I worked all eight possible regular season games last year, so the last time I did not work a Vikings home game was two years ago, the final game of the 2011 regular season, against the Detroit Lions, the same opponent the Vikes will face to close out the Dome and this putrid, pathetic year.  Since I didn't work then, I instead took my Macy's supervisor up on her offer to end the New Year's holiday weekend, as well as my tenure working the holiday season there as overnight restocker, helping them out during the day, which happened to be New Year's Day.  I was able to listen to the radio and the game, which they lost.  I blogged about this, about the pissy worker at my department and the half-ass way I left the dress shirts.

Am I upset?  No, not really.  Looking at the coverage maps I'm sure it's the seventh and lowest crew doing the game.  They're so low they're not a dedicated team; there are never seven games the network covers each week, and I doubt they've covered seven games more than half the season, so this is probably a skeleton crew filled with freelancers that are called whenever they have an overload of games in a week.  That includes the person on the crew that would hire me.  He or she probably doesn't do this full-time, therefore he or she either doesn't know who I am or thinks that because he or she is part of the 7th and last crew, compiling statistics or running stuff up to the broadcast booth for a game between two shitty teams who aren't going to the playoffs is useless.

Could I have called up and asked/begged for a position?  I could have.  But the only numbers I have for the network are people who are working other, better games around the country.  I don't want to bother them, and I don't want to look like I'm nagging and/or cajoling for a spot.  I'd rather give off the image that I'm taking things easy -- hey, if you need me to work, I'm available, and if not, that's OK, too.

Now, this one guy ... this guy, who was able to finagle his friends into working with the game with him, and with whom I found divvying up all the stat categories the last time without my help, this guy might have begged his way into work.  If so ... well, am I just going to let him do that, or have I been pushed out?

No comments:

Post a Comment