Sunday, December 22, 2013

NFL Anti-Picks, Week 16

Record, Week 15: 0-4-1
Overall Record: 41-53-1
Total Outlay, Week 15: $350.00
Total Winnings, Week 15: $100.00
Loss, Week 15: $250.00

Overall Loss: $797.35

Wow, just ... wow.  After having a very good week, I followed that up with a very bad week.  Goddamn, I was wrong about every one of them.  I was wrong about New England covering against Miami, I was wrong about Tampa Bay holding its own at home against San Francisco, I was so, so fucking wrong about the Giants being able to keep up against visiting Seattle ... and I was almost wrong about Carolina, but at least they wound up ten points better than the Jets, so I at least got some money back from that "bet."  My decision to take it easy last week after a huge payday the week before turned out to be the smart one.  However I'm still back in a pretty deep hole.

---

I've got my parents Skyping and I have to get groceries before settling in for a big yet quiet day of football, so I should make this quick.  Maybe not thinking about this at all is the strategy I should have been using all along:

1) Carolina -3 1/2 (I see some new holes with the New Orleans Saints.  They looked awful in St. Louis last week, and they play a revenge game in Charlotte against a team that got sucker-punched by them two weeks ago.  This could be a bad day for the Saints, so Best Bet this) $100

2) St. Louis -3 1/2 (Could we be something close to pride when it comes to the Rams?  I did not expect them to thump the Saints at all last week, but they did.  They now have a second straight home game, this time against a Tampa Bay club that seemed to have righted the ship under Greg Schiano but now, eh, I don't know.  It's a small way to pick up some money, but I'll take The Bastard Cleveland By Way Of Los Angeles Rams) $50

3) Detroit -8 1/2 (Host the Giants in a meeting of rapidly diverging motivations: The Lions are fighting for the NFC North, New York just got shut out at home by Seattle and are banged up.  Lions fans are very fatalistic about this, thinking that this is a perfect situation in which they will lose and eliminate themselves from playoff contention.  But I'm going to go out on a limb here, and in fact I'll Best Bet the favorites to cover) $100

4) Oakland-San Diego Over 51 (I had three other games in which I wanted to bet the line, including this one, but the aggregating online oddsmakers were precisely split as to which number the spread's going to be.  In situations like that, I just don't bet.  But I want to be on something, and so I'm going to settle on the Over for this game.  I have a feeling that the Raiders could spring an upset on the Chargers, who [at least this week] are as snakebitten as Lions fans think the Lions always are.  San Diego's on the cusp of the playoff race, and to me, that seems like a perfect scenario in which to blow a prime win at home against a team that has nothing to play for, yet might be playing to keep Dennis Allen as their Head Coach.  That's all I got, but it's enough) $50

5) I need more action, so what the hell: Parlay 1) with 3), for $100.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment