Saturday, December 14, 2013

College Football Anti-Picks, Final

Record, Week 15: 1-0
Total Record: 48-63-2
Total Outlay, Week 15: $650.00
Total Winnings, Week 15: $0
Loss, Week 15: $650.00
Overall And Final Loss: $1,206.11

Well, as they say, hindsight is 20/20, but looking back to a week ago, I have no fucking clue what I was thinking when I decided to take Arizona St. at -3.  Stanford, while hitting a rough patch towards the end of the year, went into Tempe, Ariz. and destroyed the Sun Devils 38-14, thus winning the Pac-12 and representing the conference in the Rose Bowl New Year's Day.  And also thus leaving me with what probably is the worst end result of all my years doing College Football Anti-Picks, with a total deficit totally more than twelve hundred smackaroos.

The Arizona St. defense, so good for many stretches of the year, apparently just fell apart in the face of the Stanford running game -- strange since this is the same Stanford running game that was largely kept in check facing USC during the Trojans' upset.  It's inexplicable; the pieces of a the favored Devils to win (let alone cover) were there, but they weren't even fucking close.  I just don't know.

This results hurts even more in the face of the other games I entertained going all-in on.  There were four other possibilities; three of those came through.  Turns out Duke was no match for Florida St.  The Seminoles ripped through the Blue Devils 45-7, comfortably clearing the -29 1/2 spread.  Why I thought Duke could put up even defensive punches against Jameis Winston and Co., I have no clue.  Baylor covered their -15 1/2 with some points to spare, tripling Texas and embattled Head Coach Mack Brown 30-10.  Should've went with the home team and the "fans have deserted Mack" narrative.  It's so clear now; why didn't I do it then?  And shit, the non-BcS wager I thought of betting on, South Alabama -3, was an even bigger lock; they battered Louisiana-Lafayette at home 30-8.  I haven't seen either team play.  In fact, the only thing I know about either team is that the Ragin Cajuns' Head Coach, this Hudspeth character, might be moving up to a bigger school.  But Covers told me that South Alabama would be a good bet, and turns out they are.  I only "escaped" betting the Over 71.5 on the Bears and Longhorns.  But this was just a case where I went from the frying pan into the fire.

So, I finish four figures in the hole.  At the end, well, it doesn't matter, because hey, I didn't bet on these games for real.  Man, if I really was $1,200+ in the red, I'd be shitting bricks.  But I'm not.  So hey, let's try doing this shit again next year.  And in the meantime I'll try getting out of debt with the NFL.

No comments:

Post a Comment