Tuesday, April 22, 2014

$2,500? Ha-Ha-Ha, That's Funny

That's the total estimate of repairs for my car -- and I don't even know if the reattachment of the sway bar is even part of that total.  This includes the taillight warning light on the dash (which they insist is a result of a broken taillight) and the reason for the Check Engine light, a fuel injector.

The big repairs, however, came when they finally were able to pull the engine out of its housing.  There are leaks out of the engine because of two things, the oil pan gasket and the valve cover gasket.  Also, the coolant leak is the result of yet another gasket which I didn't catch over the phone conversation I had with The Mechanic Around The Corner.  Assuming the fuel injector is the same price as the one I had replaced a year and a half ago, each of the gaskets (assuming they are all the same price) are $600 each.

Well, this will crimp into my stripper account.

I don't question that my engine and coolant system have leaks that need repair.  I'm not calling these guys liars.  But really, do I need to get these gaskets sealed?  These sound like they've been broken and leaking for some time, and the car drove just fine.  Do I really need to get them fixed?  Because if I get the whole hog fixed, that basically eats up all the money I'll be making on my current project.  And I keep bitching about the fact that I keep working and yet my checking account remains meager.

There is a serenity I feel after hearing this estimate.  I had no idea it would be this high, but I have to admit that hearing such an exorbitant amount removes all the angst I feel about whether or not to pay for it.  My thinking is, simply, "No."  I love this car, I really do.  My take is, The Mechanic Around The Corner will give me a list of priorities, and I think I am willing to spend money right now on sealing one gasket.  And if I get more money down the line, maybe by the time my parents take another vacation, I'll get the next one on the priority list fixed.  But I cannot and will not be beholden to giving all my money to my car, not anymore.  I've got to draw the line somewhere.  I want to see the money I earned in my account, at least for a little while.

Besides, between the sway bar and sealing up the leak in my driver's-side front wheel, not to mention the oil change and tire rotate, I'm already spending a lot of money to keep my baby upright.  I think it can deal with three leaky gaskets.  Well, I hope.  And really, if it can't, I think it's time to just let it go.  Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment