Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A Temporary Reprieve From Stress While Driving

Weird.  Just as I began to accept and adjust to my car's Check Engine light just being on, like living with a chronic condition like arthritis or sciatica (at least until my parents leave, so I can go and get it fixed without them knowing), my car started to get better again.

It was yesterday.  Although there were some short trips where I don't think it went on (from home to Wendy's and from the car shop, where I tried to replace my burned-out taillights back to home), it was on.  Until I reached St. Paul for the West Regional final, which the Gophers won over St. Cloud St.  It went on on the drive to St. Paul.  I was going to get my car washed, and I didn't want any of them to notice, so I turned my car off just before I got to the guy who took my order.

And from them on the Check Engine light stayed off.  I didn't think it'd come on while I was driving through downtown St. Paul to find a parking spot; if it did, my car would be in big trouble then.  But after the game, driving home at night from St. Paul to Hardee's (to eat their sourdough burger -- man, I miss Hardee's; a long time ago they were just down the street, and they probably were the closest fast food place to home ... they're awesome!), then from there to My Favorite Stripclub (Non-Cover Division), and then from there home, it wasn't on.  Neither was the low oil level light, for that matter.  So it must be cured, right?  The Check Engine light was on just because it was too cold, or the car was on so long something in there got, like, irritated, or something.  But it's good now, right?

Uh, no.  Because on the way to work it lit up again.  It happened well into my drive on the highway I use to get to work, which is a lot later than it's come on before.  Actually, on my way to St. Paul on Saturday I was more than halfway through my trip before it came on.  So, I guess it's getting "better?"  Well, maybe not, because it came on about halfway through on my drive back, although I had to stop to get money and then buy candy at Target, and on those two trips before coming home it didn't come on, but that's probably because both trips are short.

In short, I need to bring the car in.  Car works fine, for the most part ... except for this one vicious noise I hear in the back.  I'll save that for a blog post later this week, maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment