Monday, April 21, 2014

So, This One Asshole At Work ...

He's one to push the boundaries of our rules, and in fact sometimes breaks them.  He's not where he's supposed to be, he does the opposite of what we tell him to do, and generally he thinks he's above everybody else.

This guy's an asshole.  And now that we're gearing up on this project, I'm very afraid that I will have so much frustration with his juvenile behavior that one day I'll just go off on him.  But I'm really scared of what happens next -- namely that this dick will continue to flout our rules, and, more importantly, my co-workers and boss will let him continue to do that.  This despite the fact that I am trying to enforce my boss' rules.

I'm just looking for consistency, that's all.  If I had my druthers, I would allow the room to be a little more liberal that my boss has it -- or at least my boss says she wants it.  But this is her room, and she has stated her rules, and I intend to enforce them.  Of course, enforcement is impossible without consequences, and flowing from that is the need for support.  I would need someone to back me up on this.  And so far, with this asshole doing the equivalent of being told not to take a cookie from the cookie jar, taking a cookie from the cookie jar, and eating it with a grin on his face while he's looking at you, backup is a joke.

Apparently he's been this sniveling little shit for years now.  So he's been a drag, breaking the rules here and there, and it seems as if my boss and her boss are letting him get away with it.  If so, why the fuck do you have the rules in place?  And then, why not let everybody do anything they want?  I don't say that with exasperation; I kind of sincerely mean that.  It would be easier if you didn't set down so many rules, but damn it, if there are going to be rules, make damn sure you spend the energy to enforce them -- and to help the people who are trying to help you enforce them.

I don't see that now.  I see my co-workers mutter under their breath at him, him responding to any weak comment one of us would have indirectly addressing that he's not doing what we asked him to do with a snide, passive-aggressive insult/dig to challenge us to do something about it, then them chatting him up anyway.  It's not just weird, it's maddening.  Do you want this guy to follow the rules or do you want him to be your friend?

I have decided to keep my distance from him.  Better to do that if and when I have the ability to hammer his ass, or to throw his shit out of the room when he's not supposed to be in there.  I don't need to buddy up to this prick when all my co-workers genuinely like the guy.  And they do genuinely like the guy ... and then note he likes to challenge the rules of the room.  Ah, I'm not going to play that game with him.  I might have done so with other people, and I probably will with other people in the future, but not with this dick.

God, I hope he gets it.

No comments:

Post a Comment