Friday, April 11, 2014

List Of Problems With My Car I Need To Tell The Mechanic Around The Corner

In rough order of importance, from most to least, in my humble opinion:
  1. The Check Engine light.  Weird thing is, driving home from work Thursday, it didn't come on once.  That even though I actually took a detour from one test scoring place to the other because on Wednesday I picked up a night project at that place and I needed to remind myself how long it'll take to get there, even though I did the same thing last year.  (Answer, by the way: About 45 minutes.)  It helped that it really was three separate trips, from one place of work to the other, then to the gas station close to home, then finally home.  It also helps that I was stuck in the middle of afternoon rush hour and therefore I couldn't accelerate my car so soon after beginning driving, which appears to be the point at which the light comes on.  It also comes on when I'm going uphill, like I think I need to do on my regular route home from this current daytime testing place.  Boy, does it shake and hesitate and struggle as it goes up these modest hills in the southern metro.
  2. The low oil level light.  I've lived with this problem for years now, and it's not that bad, especially now, since it seems to turn itself off a lot more frequently these days.  Don't know why, but I can't think it's low oil.  Maybe the sensor's just irritated?  But as long as I have already told them, they might as well check.
  3. The driver's-side front tire keeps losing air.  OK, this is getting to be a growing problem.  Ever since the day I noticed and blogged about it, it has continued to lose air to the point of 1-2 pounds of pressure every day.  Yesterday I checked it before leaving work, gassed it up midway through (where, because of me driving and heating up the air inside it, gave me a higher reading), then checked it again just before I got home and in fact lost air, and a lot of it.  Not enough for a flat, but I'm considered that the loss is accelerating.  I should go out early and check it before I drive off.
  4. I keep having to add coolant to the overflow tank.  This is kind of similar to last year, when I continually had to add transmission fluid to the power steering overflow tank.  Whenever I check, the antifreeze tank is empty, and so I have to fill it up.  And when I check (and it's not regular, maybe a month at a time at my most frequent) it's all empty again.  The radiator seems to be doing fine and the temperature gauge remains right even, but with my parents gone soon, and I think I have time for The Mechanic Around The Corner to check.
  5. I smell gas fumes.  This only happens when the vent is external, not internal.  Probably had this since I first complained about it.  Guess I first noticed when I was trying to defrost my windows and started feeling faint.  Doesn't get much better when I'm just turning the fan on.  It may have something to do with the troubles I had with the damper and the o-ring, but I thought that the gas fumes (as well as the heavily reduced lack of mileage and the trouble starting) were fixed.  It's not.  And when I brought out a mechanic to take him out for a spin last Saturday because he needed to know where the banging was coming from, I turned the defrost on and he smelled it, too.  It's not a problem yet, and it usually isn't when I turn the air conditioning on, but I don't think I should go through another winter before nipping this in the bud.
  6. Oh yeah, that noise in the back.  The guy said it was in fact the sway bar.  Two sets of bushings and brackets hold them up, and the passenger side's fell off because of rust.  It bangs loudly when I turn left and when I go over potholes.  Part of me wants to fix this problem first, but ... maybe I think I'm paranoid that the other bushing and bracket are just going to fall of while I'm driving.  I just hope to limp around with this until I can finally bring this in before the sway bar puts a hole through my bumper.
  7. The taillight warning light.  Tried to fix it, can't.  There is a new bulb where the light is supposedly burned out, but it still won't turn on, so it has to be something else.  Obviously I can live with this problem, but it'd be nice to not see this light on my dashboard, you know?
Oh, and I need to make sure The Mechanic Around The Corner at least looks at all of these things.

Just need to make it through Tax Day, just need to make it through Tax Day. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment