Friday, April 18, 2014

Her Dark Side Again

So far, so good, I guess, for the new job.  But I kind of noticed something about one of my former supervisors, now a co-worker.

We have this bureaucratic policy of signing in twice, probably for double-checking.  We're supposed to do it electronically, then write it down on a sheet.  I told the employees it was the other way yesterday and I apologized to the entire room.

At the end of our day, I saw this person swipe out.  What we're supposed to do, cumbersome as it is, is then sign out.  "Hey, did you sign out yet?" I asked.

To which she quickly responded, "Yes," all in one motion from swipe to leaving, without looking back at me.

Okaaaaaaaaaaay.

She's been generally nice the four years I've worked on this project with her around.  But I remember one time she snapped at me.  It was my first year, and I was just asking her a question by kind of stating what I thought of the answer I was trying to grade, and as soon as I started on my spiel, she snapped at me, hard: "Can I look at this paper first?  Can I?"  I sarcastically said, "Sure, be my guest, just trying to help."

Nothing ever came of that afterward, at least until this.  It's as if she never even remembered she yelled at me.  That's not just weird; I find it kind of disingenuous.  When you yell at someone, you permanently damage your relationship with that person, even if it's infinitesimally slight.  I don't understand why other people don't feel the same way.  I mean, we get along just fine, and I'm sure we'll just work together.  But I find it strange, and not a little bit disrespectful, that'll she'll just act like nothing happened.  Come on, now -- everything happened, that time four years ago and right after work.

I think there's a dark side to her.  She can be gracious and quite charming, but my most vivid memories of her is when she's quiet, surly, short-tempered and even a bit bitter.  That belies her religious leanings, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment