Thursday, April 10, 2014

RIP, Fantasy Baseball League

This, I'm afraid, is both a first and end.  For the first time in a long time, I will not be playing a fantasy baseball league.

We use Yahoo! Sports.  My league has gone through some attrition over the past few years, and last year we were at four players, the bare minimum Yahoo! allows a league to function.  Well, this year, a year where the baseball season snuck up on me and I was busy with work and duties for the alumni club, I hastily renewed the league.  Apparently, however, one of the three holdovers from last year, a good buddy of mine way back from my college days, is also pretty busy with stuff.  He did not join in.

Therefore, right now we are at three people.  I wanted to get the draft out of the way in time for the official opening of the regular season, in mid-March between the Dodgers and Diamondbacks in Australia, but we didn't have enough people then, and I was really busy, so I took my other friend's advice and wait until March 30.  This friend still didn't join, and my desperate e-mails to get someone else I know to become a new member of the league did not work.  Finally, I reached out to this friend and reminded him, just in case he didn't get my e-mail and/or forgot about the league.  I haven't heard back from him, and I'm disappointed he did not at least tell me he wouldn't do it.

So we're now a week into the regular baseball season, and my league is still in wait mode.  So this is obvious: We're not doing this league.  I just tried going to the page and cancelling the league, but there's no place to do it.  So I guess it's just going to be up, Waiting For Godot (or my friend, Marcas), being suspended in limbo in the meantime.

I looked through the history of the league.  Technically my league, this league, hasn't been operating every year.  It has since 2006, but before then this league was activated in 2003 -- and it was overseen by someone else, possibly my friend from college who did join this year's league.  Beyond that, I know for a fact that I've played fantasy baseball every year since some time in college.  I had no control over the league, and I'm sure we used another platform besides Yahoo! then (do you remember Sandbox?  We used them a lot, maybe exclusively, in college and for a few years past that), but every year I played.

But not this year.  If I am right, this will be the first time in at least 16 years, and at most 19 years, I'm not playing fantasy baseball.  Yet another good thing that has ended, destroyed by the march of Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment