Friday, October 10, 2014

I Can't Win

Well, I was kind of surprised, even though I guess I shouldn't have been.  After making an appearance at our area in the morning and doing some things for me, my boss, after promising that they would get these two people up and running so I can train them in the next phase of the project (something I still don't want them to do because it's mine, all mine!!), he disappeared.  It's not as if he totally forgot.  No, he does remember.  And it's not as if it's not important to him, because it's important to his boss.  But there are other things on his plate that are more important to him, and he needs to do that before he gets to them, and to me.

So, nothing happened.  And in the meantime, to placate my boss' boss' wishes, I did the stuff I am supposed to teach these kids on.  I have an obsession with the State Fair -- partly because they are the oldest shots, therefore I need to process them first, and partly because I we have, like, 15 of them, and I want them all to be done in one fell swoop.  Unfortunately, like putting insurance on them, they're a pain in the ass.  Stuff got moved as the assembly fell to my boss' permanent workers, so when I revisited them, I'm going, "Why in the hell did he go from Medicare to Blue Cross Blue Shield?"  That throws my count off, which makes me very meticulous in figuring out which consent forms should be together, which means I spent two hours on two packets to make sure they're both organized and being billed for the right amount.  As a non-profit, six bucks makes a world of difference.

So, the good news is on Thursday I did not have to give up the tasks I want to keep and was able to do them all to myself.  The bad news was I was too slow in doing it.  (These State Fair ones are so slow because of all the insurances that come in.  It's getting to be so onerous to do every season that I'm beginning to hate the State Fair because of it.)  At the end of the day the results were staring right back at me: Boxes upon boxes of shit that needs to be done.  There is a chokepoint that rests with me and my billing.  Meanwhile, the other temps are churning out about a box, maybe 1 1/2 boxes a day, and so I have to make a new one every day to put them in.  That means I'm piling them one on top of another to the point where they're starting to tip.  At least I figured out a way to carve out a fifth column.

Unfortunately I have come to the conclusion that I have no choice but to train them.  I think I can handle it myself, assuming that there are no new people I have to break in.  But the whip is coming down from the CEO, and therefore it's coming down on me, and I can't avoid all these damn boxes piling up.  So, the only way to speed up the process of flipping some of these boxes into boxes that are ready to be archived is to, ironically, not do them and teach others how to do them.  And that is a bad thing because I will have to speak to two people I find, for the most part, to be unpleasant and not very receptive to teaching.  That may be more of the reason I hate to do what I think has to be done.

And that probably will be done tomorrow, even if I said that this time last night.  My boss has to deal with those problems because he cannot stand these boxes in the room.  Hey, after the State Fair it's going to be smooth sailing.  My plan this (Friday) morning is to finish them off first thing, then pile into the corporates, then hopefully amass, like, two boxes that can be sent into the next phase.  So then maybe he'll be impressed by my output and let me continue on them independently.  Or, he may yet be busy again with other stuff and put fixing the old waves' new computers until next week, or later.  Or, I'll be training them tomorrow morning.

Yeah, I have to mentally prepare myself to train them tomorrow morning.  Fine.  You win.

No comments:

Post a Comment