Sunday, October 19, 2014

Well, I Never Thought This Would Happen

OK, all my kvetching about training these two dickheads the tasks I want to keep to myself?  Yeah, fuck that.  First of all, when I told them that I will train them Monday (I guess I could have done it Friday, but I was kind of afraid I would not be tending to my new pups, and besides, it's Friday -- let's start training at the beginning of the week and not the end) and asked if they finally have all the software, they weren't dickheads about it.  Well, the guy once again complained that he wasn't getting all the stuff he needed to work, but he's too fucking intense, and he has to understand by now that this company doesn't have the ability or time to give him everything he needs and he should be used to that by now.  But other than that, they were actually civil for once.  Let's hope that continues! The other thing came as a surprise, although if I was able to survey the big picture I would have seen it coming: We are running out of work.  It dawned on me some time in the early afternoon, when I noticed the number of packets in each bin and saw that we were running dangerously short on all of them.  Only the occasional infusions of work by the nurses over the course of the day saved our asses. Nevertheless we are still very short.  And unless there's a bunch of stuff that comes in on Monday (which very well could happen), there's a high chance that a bunch of the temps will have no work.  And how about the rest of the week?  This is what happens when you hire 13 people to do the same thing: You get so good and fast that you go from a heap of work to no work at all. Meanwhile, the boxes of My Tasks continue to pile up.  I was putting things away and I was looking at my stack of boxes.  Each of them contains folders, some of them with one task, one with the other, all of them filled to the brim.  They aren't easy to stack high, and as we have converted more and more envelopes into folders, I have had no choice but to go vertical.  Piling four boxes on high was bad enough, but we are now at the point where we are five high -- very dangerous for stacking. Also, five stacks of five boxes means 25 boxes of stuff that has to go to the next phase -- My Tasks.  And looking at the stacks, some of them leaning to the right because the boxes on the bottom of the totem pole can't withstand the weight, I could not deny it anymore: I had to let it go.  I have to let other people get to work on these boxes because there was no way I could catch up by myself.  The killer revelation, however, is the empty boxes for envelopes.  The work is now further down the assembly line, and without me training these people yet again, I have the huge problem of the temps having no work to do ... and possibly being let go because of it.  I don't like giving people stuff I consider mine, but I really hate to see idle hands. I told my boss about this, and so the plan has changed: There will be two people who do one of My Tasks, and then I will train two people I didn't think will be involved with this phase doing the other of My Tasks.  That may not help keep the jobs of the other seven people, but at least we will finally start the process of getting through these boxes of folders that are in danger of tipping over.  Getting those folders billed and flipped on their side so I can put a lid on it is now my priority.  Chugging through those boxes and eventually shrinking those columns would be great, even if I have to give away My Tasks to people who may or may not listen to me.  Now, I just hope that while I'm training them, the others will just be sitting around with nothing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment