Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Weekend That Won't Be

For some reason, Friday afternoon, after I tried to take a nap in my car for lunch, everybody at work, including me, was unjustifiably giddy.  I was dreading yet again the fact that I had to let go of the work I wanted to keep to myself, and when my boss and The Asshole came over to the old guys' desks to finally install the programs they needed to do the tasks I had to train them on, my heart sank.  But then there was yet another program they needed, and since both of them had other things they needed to do, they couldn't get around to it Friday.  Therefore, for yet another day -- and actually the whole week -- it was just like old times, just me doing something no else could do, because I am special!

For a while, though, it looked like I had another slap in the face as to why these two guys should be doing what I have been doing: The work was running out.  There are now seven other people (besides me, and after this nice girl was brutally fired from work after helping me pack up Thursday afternoon) going through the consents, and even though they may not be good (there are still mistakes popping up everywhere), they are fast, fast enough that I looked into the boxes and it appeared as if we would have nothing else to do.  But a couple people came to the rescue, resupplying us with box after box full of envelopes, ending with a couple boxes that came in just before the end of the day.  We're good for work, for a while.

That wasn't why I felt so positive, however.  I don't know, but it felt like not just the company but the entire world after I left work (and then went to My Favorite Stripclub [Non-Cover Division], then a liquor store, then a brand new store that opened nearby, then McDonald's to start playing Monopoly) was happy.  Maybe it's because it's the start of the weekend, but I don't remember my own spirits being so high on previous Fridays.  My feels were mostly of relief that I made it through another workweek without either losing my temper or my job.

Unfortunately the onslaught does not end, and I don't really have a respite this weekend.  First of all, I was supposed to meet with my parents' property manager to collect rent checks, but he had to postpone because he doesn't have them all yet.  My folks are going to be pissed, and they are already pissed because of the tenants owe them back rent.  Then I spent a part of Friday evening trying to fix the washing machine after it gave me the "LD" (long drain) warning signal again.  I did it so successfully before that it took me only 15 minutes to unscrew the bottom plate and pull out the pump.  But unlike the first time, when I could see that calcified rocks were the reason the pump wasn't pumping out water, there were no obstructions in there this time.  There is a filter that also could have been removed, but after trying to undo the clamps I wasn't comfortable pulling it out and thinking I could put it back in.  So I am letting the water that flowed out of the tubes dry overnight, then I'm going to reassemble the bottom and tip the washer back up and hope that it does the trick, because otherwise I have no towels.

Saturday is free until very late, when my team's on.  Which means I have to fear that, for a third week in a row, nobody fucking shows up.  It's late, last week my team pissed away a game when they allowed the easiest Hail Mary in human history, and to top it all off, the damn Zombie Pub Crawl's going on in downtown Minneapolis.  No one will give a shit about the game, therefore I won't be able to pull off a raffle so I can replenish the club's coffers for a third straight week.  God, this sucks.  God, I suck.

Even worse, I have to work the Vikings game Sunday afternoon.  And since it's the early window, I'll have to get there, oh, around 8 or so.  Which means I'll have to wake up around 7.  But my alma mater's game starts at 9:30, therefore it's going to be done around 1, which means I have maybe five hours of sleep Sunday morning.  I need my beauty rest to get ready for the workweek, and my body will probably be in battle mode on Sunday, if not the entire weekend.  And then Monday rolls around, and I'll have to finally train these people on something I don't want them to learn, even though logic says I'll never get this done (which'll make me look bad in the process) on my own.

So plans have fallen through, fixes aren't working, I have to march back into a humiliation that is my responsibility, then I'll have to be tired in order to work a game that'll throw my body clock off just in time to march back into a place where I'll have to do something I hate for people I don't like because otherwise I might get fired.  Whoop-de-damn-do!

No comments:

Post a Comment