Friday, October 3, 2014

Left A Bag Outside To Get Wet

I put our recyclables (cans, mail) in a paper bag that I throw underneath our kitchen counter.  Whenever we get the chance -- and whenever I remember -- I take the bag outside and dump the contents into the bin.  My parents just throw the whole thing in, bag and all.  To me, these paper bags are reusable, so I turn it over and bring the bag back in.

Normally my folks do this, but since I'm not here, it's up to me, obviously.  And I usually don't do it unless there's enough of it for me to go, "Yeah, it's time to throw it away."  And then I do -- whenever I remember.

I remember when I go out to water my parents' vegetables.  But I have this bad habit of getting sidetracked when I am either blindsided by a new thing I have to do or concentrating intently on the thing I have to remember to do.  The latter happened after I dumped the recyclables one day earlier this week, probably Monday: Nightfall was coming very soon (as it is these days) and I had to get in my half-hour of watering.  So I folded up the paper bag and threw it onto the deck so I could go around and grab the hose.

That meant that I completely forgot about the bag, walked straight back into the house and shut the door.  That's when I remembered the bag, but I thought, "Eh, I already shut the door.  It's not like it's gonna rain or anything.  I'll get it when I water the plants tomorrow."

Well, guess what happened overnight?

I didn't even remember the bag until shortly before I walked out the door the next day -- "Oh, shit, the paper bag!"  And there it was, laying there all folded up on the deck, soggy as shit.  And it was a good paper bag too, all pristine and shit.  And that mint condition is ruined.

I had no choice but to bring it inside to dry.  It's been a few days, and I think it's dry enough where I can put junk mail in it again.  But it'll never be the same.  And all because I fucking forgot and I was fucking lazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment