Thursday, January 28, 2016

After Five Weeks My Vibrate Is Back!!!

Funny thing.  I was at Brit's Pub on December 19 when my phone, which I slipped into the too-shallow left pocket of the hooded sweatshirt I was wearing, slipped out and hit the floor as I adjusted my sitting position.  Didn't thinking nothing of it; it had a case and it worked because my phone still did.

But then, several days later because I'm slow on the uptake, whenever I heard the alarm I didn't hear the vibrating that went along with it.  (I usually turn my ringer off and keep my vibrating setting to on.)  That's when it dawned on me: That spill onto the ground destroyed the motor that does the vibration on my iPhone.

Or is it destroyed?  Finally I came around to looking how to get my vibrate back.  First I tried hitting the back of my cell, which seemed to do the trick for many people on the Internet, but it didn't work for me.  (I thought about whacking the back of it against a table, but I didn't want to break my phone or then I'd really be screwed.)  Then I downloaded this free app called iBrate where you can push a button and test out the vibrating function.  I downloaded it and the phone still didn't vibrate ... and then I realized that the app didn't fix the broken vibrate, it only tests for it.  Look, I didn't put 2 and 2 together, OK?

So I just decided that my phone was succumbing to old age and that I'd have to put the ringer on more often.  I don't like having the ringtone on when, for example, a call comes in, but one of the very frustrating things as a result of losing vibrate is that I'm not alerted to an incoming phone call just because I have the ringer off and I didn't notice the screen on my phone.  I have missed many phone calls the past few weeks when my phone was in plain sight.  But, hey, what can you do.  That's life, I'll learn to put the ringer on, and I'll move ahead.

But then something weird happened during our alumni event last Saturday.  I was in my usual chicken-with-its-head-cut-off state, hoping that at least somebody was going to show up to play bocce ball.  People did, thank God, and so I started snapping pictures on my iPhone to immediately disseminate through social media.  And it was at some point during those two hours when I noticed the phone shaking from time to time.  I paused for a second to think, "Wait a second -- do I have my vibrate back?"  And after the event was over I tested my cell on iBrate and, Hallelujah, I have my vibration back!!!

Cut to this morning where I didn't think my cellphone vibrated when the alarm came on, but in later alarms (I hit the snooze button a couple times, per usual) it did shake.  So maybe it's cutting back out, but maybe I'm wrong and it's back again!  And it took only five weeks, but my phone is whole and functioning at 100%!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment