Thursday, January 14, 2016

Ruined Dilly Bars

So I was eating the post-game meal after the Vikings game at what is called "the compound" when the liaison between me and the stadium, I think prompted by a request from a member of my crew, went from table to table and threw these boxes of Dairy Queen Dilly Bars for us.  Now it's great to have free food, and I had plenty already (for example there laid out two kinds of soup, and I did my best to have a up of each), but damn, if I get free dessert, I'll take it.

Except ... well, it's dessert.  I was in the middle of eating dinner when the Dilly Bars were being handed out, and I didn't want to interrupt what I was eating to skip to what traditionally was the end of a meal.  On the other hand, there were only so many Dilly Bars being given away, and they were being scooped up by every free hand there.  Ultimately, I let it go; I do like free dessert, but I wasn't going to sacrifice what I had prepared my taste buds for in order to eat it.

But then two of the other stats guys walk past me and hand over their Dilly Bars.  "A treat for you!" one of them said.  (Actually I don't remember what she said; I just made that up.)  Great ... but when am I going to eat that?  Well, I'll take it, but I decided that I would keep it and throw it into the freezer as soon as I get home.  Helps that it was just below freezing outside.

I didn't get home for awhile; I had a walk to my car, then I wanted to go to My Favorite Stripclub (Non-Cover Division).  But, again, it was below freezing, so I thought the Dilly Bars would keep.  After I got home and threw my bag (which included other food I took, such as apple juice and apples, as well as the Dilly Bars) in the refrigerator, I forgot it, either for the night or until the next day.

Wait a second ... the fridge?  Dilly Bars need to go into the freezer.  The refrigerator keeps food cool, but above freezing.  I realized this out of the blue and I went, "Oh, shit!" and I raced to the fridge and rummaged through the bags ... only to see that the two plastic wrappings of the two dessert treats filled with this oozing white goo.  Not only did the Dilly Bars melt, it appears as though I was careless and broke the chocolate casing of the bars, thus allowing the ice cream center to seep and through and enshroud the whole package.

It was ruined.  The only thing I could do, then, was to finally put the Dilly Bars in the freezers, whereby the trail of ice cream will freeze.  It'll be ungainly, but it won't be a mess where all the ice cream will just slide onto the plate.  It worked: I opened up both packages and took bites of the solid ice cream, which ran up and down the wooden stick.

Should have remembered to throw the Dilly Bars in the freezer, though.  Should have made sure not to break the Dilly Bars, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment