Monday, January 4, 2016

Goddammit, I'm Already Too Late

OK, so one of the things I have to do for the alumni club is set up our volunteering time, which is in March.  We pack food, and we love it, but it's so popular that I have to reserve online months in advance or else I'll miss out.

For the past, oh, month or so I have reminded myself I have to get on this.  I remember not doing so two years ago and practically begging the site manager to wedge us in.  I learned my lesson last year and reserved in plenty of time: Mid-January for our mid-March date.  But I knew that this place gets more and more popular to easily volunteer your time with each passing year, so this time around I knew I had to reserve as early as possible, certainly before mid-January.  But just a bunch of shit connected with the holidays pushed that out of my mind till this morning.  OK, maybe not, maybe I just was lazy and forgot.

At any rate, this morning at work I thought about getting on it.  There are no spots for the time and place I want to do this.  My God, we're nine weeks out and I'm already too goddamn late.

So now I harken back to what the site manager told me two years ago: Check back frequently in case there are cancellations, and in the end, if our group is small enough, they'll have mercy on us and squeeze us in.  I guess I have that as a fallback plan, but I have to be diligent about checking their website every day so I can reserve any spots given up and sign up the "right" way.  But I just wished that I could have avoided this teeth-gnashing limbo.  Maybe I should have signed up around Christmas, or December.  Fuck if I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment