Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Is That Supposed To Happen?

This (Tuesday) morning was the last of four, I think, mornings where the air temperature was below zero.  Whenever I started my car, not only have I seen exhaust coming out of the exhaust pipe, of course, but I've also seen smoke coming out from the wells of both front tires, especially the driver's-side one.  And it's billowing out of there, like there's something wrong with the car.

I could look up what's going on, but I'd rather not deal with problems, especially if the minivan still drives, and it does.  But that is really weird.  The only explanation I have is that the smoke could be the result of the dye test, where the mechanic (when I brought the car in for an oil change) had to degrease the engine, and that ... whatever he used to degrease it vaporizes upon starting the engine, and I'd especially see it on cold mornings.  That is normal, and it will burn off over time.  That's what the mechanic told me.  Of course, he told me this when he did the dye test, which was about two months ago.

So what is it now?  Don't know, and frankly, don't want to know.  All I hope is that with the modest rise in temps, I won't see the smoke that I assume should be billowing out of the back of my car instead billowing out the front of my car.  Of course, just because I don't see smoke doesn't mean there's something that's coming out of there that shouldn't.  But you know me; ignorance is bliss.

No comments:

Post a Comment