Wednesday, January 6, 2016

She Moving?

As I was leaving for work this morning I pass by my sister's best friend's house.  They live two houses down, on the other side of the street.  The best friend moved out years ago (she lives with someone -- long story, she's a serial monogamist but the people she has relationships with are all different from each other, and all of them are different from what you would think she would be with, but that's all I'm going to talk about that).  The mother, who is really sweet, was hit with a virus almost a decade ago that put her in a wheelchair where, I'm afraid, she has been ever since.

I believe the mother's other child, the son (older than the best friend) lives and takes care of the mother in that house.  Well, I don't know anymore if he lives and takes care of her anymore, because this morning I saw one of those huge metal dumpsters, the ones you use for construction projects, on their driveway.  I have also seen those big-ass dumpsters on driveways of houses whose residents are moving.

So, is she moving?  I had heard that taking care of their mother has gotten so difficult that they had been looking into moving her into a care home.  But that was years ago, and I thought that her staying in her house meant that the son was holding his own.  Maybe not, or maybe things have changed.  I want to talk to my sister about this because she probably knows what's going on.

Again, although I don't know her that well, she has always been quite nice to me.  But we haven't spoken in a long time.  Not very proud of that since we live so close.

The last time I laid eyes on her was back in the late summer/early fall, while I was driving home.  I saw her, in her chair, on the porch rebuilt to accommodate her wheelchair, just sitting there.  It looked like she was waiting for someone.  I had a thought that it would be a good idea to go over and just say hi.  But ... uh, I guess I had planned to do something once I got home, and I figured I had other times to say hello to her, and maybe I spooked myself by telling myself I wouldn't know what to say, but in the end I decided not to walk over there.  I had second thoughts later in the evening, but when I walked over there I didn't see her, nor did I see a light on inside.

She wasn't a close member of the family, but she was, literally, close enough that I should have seen and made small talk with her on occasion.  Heck, she's so close I should have thought about her from time to time.  But I didn't until I saw that dumpster this morning, and now I'll need my sister to fill in what's going on with her.  I should have treated her better.

No comments:

Post a Comment