Tuesday, October 4, 2016

This Is It

Going back to the first set of keys I lost, yesterday (Monday) I finally got around to the two final places I have yet to go back to, just in case I left them there earlier this month.

The first place was the theater, where I went to the day after I dropped off the rental.  I don't remember having it the next day, Tuesday, because I thought that, when I closed the door behind me, I realized I didn't have the key that I needed to lock the deadbolt.  Or maybe I was wrong and I did have it, and so I might've lost it while going to a movie that day.  Wanted to swing by this place a couple weeks ago, but I got there at 10:30 and for some reason they didn't even open because the first showings were at 11.  I had somewhere else to go (don't remember it, but I did), so I split.  Anyway, the manager there looked through the theater's lost-and-found drawer, and even though there were keys (including a car key -- I don't know about you, but I'd quit my damn job if I lost my car key ... even though I remember losing my car key at the mall closest to our house and I just spent an afternoon looking for it everywhere before giving up), none of them were mine.

So the final stop (barring me going back over to places I have already been to, like the gym I work out at) was going on the rental car company's website.  I actually went back to the airport and marched into the rental car center's stand to see if they found anything.  In fact, because there was no one there to help me and when no one was looking, I actually saw the minivan we rented for the road trip, went inside and spent a minute looking everywhere for my key.  Wasn't there; probably wouldn't be in there after two weeks.

Anyway, I then went inside the center itself, the place where you have to sign out the car, and spoke to the guy there.  They don't have a lost-and-found drawer, which kind of surprised me and then, after some more thinking, kind of didn't.  What they do is deliver all found items to a central clearinghouse in St. Paul which they share with another rental car company.

I was directed to call the 1-800 I was not eager to call, but I had to, even though I waited till I was in St. Louis to do it.  The guy on the line then directed me to the "Lost And Found" link on their website, and now it seemed a lot more formal than it had to.

I didn't get around to going back online until yesterday (Monday), but you know what?  This is a little more elaborate than I anticipated, and that's not a bad thing.  They compile a list of items that have been collected from rented vehicles.  Three of those items were keys.  They describe the item and what day it was discovered.  There is then a form you click on to fill out a description of what item you lost, the date you think you lost it, and your rental agreement number.  If they find it, they'll call you.

There is absolutely no reason for me to put any stock into thinking that they have my keys.  But I've got to tell you, seeing this well-organized list and having the means to formally declare a lost item makes me feel good.  I feel like I'm finally empowered, that I'm doing something proactive and productive that'll help me find my long-lost keys.  And now that I feel that way, I wonder why in the hell I didn't do it sooner.

But at least I did it now, because also on this list is a "Claim By" date.  If I had waited until after 30 days after the discovery of the item in the car -- if I had waited until, say, later this week -- it would have been removed from the list and then I don't know where it would be.  I made it just in time.

A chance.  A chance is all I have, but right now, a chance feels like it's all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment