Monday, October 10, 2016

Where I Have Nothing To Do, But Unfortunately I Have Nothing To Do

One of the things about this assignment -- one of the things I like -- is that they know that there are some down times during the day, and they're OK with that.  Euphemistically, they say that there will be days where "we beg for your patience."  Beg?  Hell, if I can chill on the Internet and work on my receipts, you can have as much patience as you want!

Right now is one of those times.  The project my immediate supervisor had me working on I finished early this morning, and I dropped it off at her desk.  I have been back on my desk since.  She has not come to the desk where I'm working now to check up on me.  I haven't been back to her desk.  There is a possibility that she is not here.  Regardless, I am under the impression that that is OK, and that if there is anything they want from me, they'll get me.

Cool.  So for the back half of the day I have had all to myself.  So, what to do?  I thought of finally getting my receipts together, playing catch-up by writing them down in my day planner, and then reconciling my expenses for the month of September.  If I have no work, I think this is a prime opportunity to be productive with my paperwork.

So I pulled all the receipts out of my pants, organized them by date and stacked them up.  And then I pulled out my pens, opened up my Franklin Quest ... and saw that I didn't have any October pages to write these receipts on.  And then I saw that I didn't have any empty page on which to write the expenses for the month of September.  So now I'm stuck.

This really sucks because I am virtually assured that I will be left alone, to my own devices, for the rest of the day.  Getting September reconciled could be something I really could grind down today, then after that, I can start writing down October.  If I were able to do both things, I could get rid of these receipts.  But I can't.  Now, what awaits me in the morning?  What if my immediate supervisor isn't here now, but will be back tomorrow, and with something for me to do?  That would represent a huge blown chance to get caught up on my stuff.

All is not lost.  I am blogging this; I need to put in some days where I post twice.  I also can get catch up with my e-mails; I slacked off a few days last week and it grew to 200, so I can spend the rest of my time here going through all of those.  But I think I could have arranged this better.  I just didn't think of looking in my FQ to make sure I had all that I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment