Thursday, October 20, 2016

$29.25 On Faith

Alright ... last year the Minnesota Lynx was at home for Game 5 of the WNBA Finals.  I thought about going, but I decided against it because, frankly, I thought the Jynx were going to lose.  They didn't; they in fact routed the Indiana Fever, 69-52.  I drove down to downtown just to be around the aura of the area just as Minnesota put the finishing touches on the Fever and the Finals, but as soon as the game was over, I totally regretted dropping money on the game.  My firm belief that the game wasn't a complete sellout makes me regret my decision even more.

So I get the exact same situation thrown on my lap this year.  The Minnesota Lynx have Game 5 at home tonight, this time against the Los Angeles Sparks.  (This year they did away with conference affiliation as a way to align the playoffs; these two teams had the best records in the WNBA, therefore they were situated in the bracket so that they could meet in the Finals, even though they both are in the Western Conference.)  Do I go?

I bought my ticket yesterday (Wednesday) morning, for the above price.  Not bad for a do-or-die title game.  I can't pass up this opportunity to see a title in person, and who cares if it's the WNBA?  Unfortunately I have a bad feeling in my bones that the Lynx are going to lose.  For one thing, the Indiana Fever were not the second-best team in the league last year; the Sparks are this year.  For another, all these players are a year older.  And finally, I think they're going to lose because I'm going to the game.  That's a surefire way for my team to lose.

Just checked; Minnesota's a consistent 5 1/2-point favorite to win.  I hope to Buddha that is so.  Because if they lose, if I witness a humiliating loss by the road team in the last and most important game of the WNBA season, I'll be pissed.  That'll be regret, I tell ya.  I would rather not see my home team win a championship than see them lose a championship in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment