Thursday, December 22, 2016

The Beginning Of The End?

So, in the middle of my 13-hour day at work yesterday, one of my supervisors (I believe I have three) said that one of the main tasks my co-worker and I are doing we are no longer doing, as of today.  It has been the main thing I've been doing for, oh, the past two or three weeks.  We have had other tasks that take priority, one regular, one irregular, but regardless, we could always rely on that for work throughout the day.

Therefore I was unmoored as soon as she said that we don't have to do that anymore.  Because, well, what will we do instead?  I think even they understand that means we'll just be biding our time until someone finds something for us to do.  But with the busy season of this assignment just about over, I can see the end of the tunnel and the writing on the wall.  And because I am paranoid (with temp jobs you are never sure), I'm not exactly sure if our end date, around the end of February, will indeed be our end date if they can't find something for us to do.  I like working here and I really like the people I work for, but I have no illusions about this job.  We can be cut at any time, for any reason or for no reason.  And then what?

I could at least feel secure knowing that I have a reason to be here.  But, once she comes over some time today to physically lift our work from us, we have nothing.  I like dinking around on the Internet and I have some paperwork I can catch up with, but if there is nothing we need to do here after this main task is taken out of our hands, well, they'll have to wonder what we're doing here.

And then what?

No comments:

Post a Comment