Sunday, December 18, 2016

Such Shitty Timing

OK, so this is where I bitch about the weather and what I have to do in the middle of it:

  • Friday afternoon was when the snow starts.  It was supposed to dump up to a foot of snow, although the totals were much less than that; there was even a Winter Storm Warning for a wide chunk of the state, the heart of which included the Twin Cities.  Nevertheless, that would have been a good day to get home as soon as possible from work and hunker down to wait out the blizzard.  Heck, I might have gone outside in the night to start shoveling.  But did I do that?  Noooooooooooooooooooo.  I planned on going out with my friend to our annual British Advertising Awards/dinner that night.  Surely I couldn't have anticipated that we would be going out the night of the first real bad snowstorm, but still.
  • Saturday was the transition.  The snow would finally taper off, but the wind would soon pick up and the temperatures would plummet through the night.  So, this would have been a good time to stay home, to shovel and/or plow before it gets too unbearable to go outside, right?  Noooooooooooooooooooo.  There was still overtime to be had at work, and as an hourly wage earner as well as a guy with no money, the allure of working weekends is too hard to resist.  (Too bad I didn't get in until 9:30 because of the damn snow and not, say, 7 like I could have done if I didn't have to help shovel.)  And besides, I had to go Christmas shopping for my niece, and work is extremely close to the Mall of America ... which leads me to another holiday tradition I have, which is going to the Hooters to watch the women's college volleyball championship game.  I had to go out, I just had to!
  • Sunday morning we are expected to experience the lowest recorded temperature in the Twin Cities on record.  That record is -23; the forecast low is -24.  There's a Wind Chill Warning that'll last through noon.  So obviously I shouldn't be going out at all, right?  RIGHT?!?!?!?!  Nooooooooooooooooooo.  I'm working the Vikings game today -- and I have to report at 7 a.m., right in the teeth of this polar fucking vortex.  Moreover, my parking spot is a good four blocks from the stadium, and I saw on the weather forecast that exposed flesh at the windchills we're supposed to have -- up to -40 -- could have frostbite in ten minutes.  Oh yeah, and my gloves are kind of broken, too.  I'm really anticipating that the crew I'm working for would be dickheaded enough to force me to walk outside to get something for them.  If that's the case, I have half a mind to walk out and never come back.
I still prefer the cold over the snow.  Doesn't mean it's smart for me to be going out in this fucking weather, and yet I've had to this entire goddamn weekend!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment