Tuesday, April 18, 2017

In My Accuser, I Saw What I Aspire To

So yesterday (Monday) afternoon I am in the break room getting my third and final cup of coffee.  I was just done using one of my two giant bottles of creamer and was going to the fridge to put it back when this fellow test scorer, someone I have seen and worked before, grabs the creamer out of my hand, rudely.

So I look at him, maybe with a mixture of incredulity and menace (I hope), at which point he might have said (because I had my earplugs in), "Oh, is this yours?"  I don't know if I said it was, but then he totally changed his tune, to a more accommodating one.  "This looks like mine," he may have said, and then he gave back my creamer and went to another refrigerator, at which point he pulled out a similarly-sized bottle of creamer which had a similar shade of brown on it.

"Did you think I stole your creamer from you?" I had to ask after apparently he figured everything out, to which he replied, in a brusque and (hopefully) chastised tone, "We're good.  No worries."  And I left because I don't need to make any more enemies that I already have.

Two things.  The first probably is the more obvious one.  So he looked at me and my creamer, figured that it must have been his creamer, then promptly yanked it away from me to take back what he thought was his.  Only after that did he check to see that his creamer was still there.  Therefore -- why in the fuckety-fuck did he not make sure that he didn't still have his bottles of creamer in the fridge before deciding I stole one?

The second ... well, maybe I'm being too generous here, or paranoid, but I think it's the thing that terrifies me more.  If our places were switched ... I could see myself totally doing the same thing he did.  I don't even know if I would have a clear enough head to check my fridge before going off on him.  I've had things stolen from the fridge there from time to time.  And I'm guessing that he has, too, and he was sick of getting his shit taken away from him and/or used without his permission when he saw me and thought he caught me red-handed.  Sure, I could have gone off on him for accusing me of something I didn't do, especially when it was so easy to prove that I didn't do it.  But for a moment there, when he stole my creamer from me, I saw, reflected back to me, what I have always wanted to do to the goddamn thief who stole my Pepsi last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment