Friday, April 14, 2017

So once in a while at work we get a copy of how many essays we've read for the day.  We have a quota, although I don't know of any specific consequences if I don't meet that quota.  At least none to my knowledge; I have rarely met the quotas for my projects, yet I am back at this company for the eighth year.

When I got my copy around the halfway point this afternoon and saw that I am really low once again, I thought about what I was thinking about this morning.  And I remembered: My parents potentially telling me they're selling the house; all the times they've disappointed me; my weird dreams that I will be incapacitated if not killed because of their stupid decisions or their neglect, etc.  I space out a lot at work.  A lot.  Usually it's about bad things I fear will happen to me, although in better days I think about sex a lot.

Only now, however, have I realized that these anxieties, my home life, is affecting my work.  You hear all those stories that students with dysfunctional domestic situations do poorly in school?  Well, because of my dysfunctional domestic situation, I am doing poorly at work.  I am no different from some kid with a turbulent home he has to come back to, day after day.

That's all I wanted to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment