Tuesday, April 11, 2017

RIP, Vista (For The Most Part)

So I woke up this morning (after falling asleep early last evening -- My Fucking Father called for me through my bedroom door because both parents came up to eat something; he didn't seem upset at the time, but this is one of those cases where he will bring up "not having a schedule" and use it against me some time later when he wants to yell at me for not being a grown-up like all the other 41-year-olds, like a passive-aggressive cocksucker), decided I should blog post for the day (I am going to the Timberwolves game tonight, but don't tell Father, shhhhhhhhhhh) and I see that, after months of warnings, Microsoft has finally stopped providing security for Windows Vista as of April 11, 2017.  Let the record show.

I have had big problems with my laptop (the one that I'm using right now, for this) for several years.  But it's due to old age, a worn-out processor, and the path towards failure that inexplicably began when I bought a battery online and essentially ruined my computer.  I don't think much of it breaking down had anything to do with the operating system.  And I know that it will go down as a vilified detour in the evolutionary chain of Windows OS, but the bugs that made people hate Vista never really affected me, a guy who uses the Internet a lot but doesn't play games or watch movies on it.

So for the past month or so I have relied on free antivirus support for when a day like this finally comes.  The problem -- and I think I have told this before -- is that I have to bring it down in order to successfully connect to our wi-fi.  I'm so scared now that Vista isn't supported by Microsoft that whenever I do that, I feel as though I'm stepping out into the middle of The Purge.

Last (Monday) night, while helping Mother with some stuff she needed to fax, I took Father's junk Dell catalog.  I've been thinking about getting a new lap for a while, and for a while I've had my eye set on an XPS, specifically the cheaper XPS 13.  I can get it for $720 if I buy by early May.  I don't know if I have the dough for that right now, but this move by Microsoft adds more pressure to finally move on to a new computer, one that has Windows 10 and is more stable than what others believed Vista to be.

At any rate, RIP, Vista.  You never did anything wrong to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment