Wednesday, November 29, 2017

On Being The Errand Boy

So we have a daily meeting every morning at work.  These people are ... to be honest, I have no idea what they do.  I think they develop software or something.  I can't be more specific because whenever each of these people talk about what they've done and what they're in the middle of, nearly all of the lingo goes over my head, without fail.

It's absolutely nuts how I stick out for my borderline incompetence and obvious uselessness in these meetings.  Everyone knows it.  And I believe the other guys there have made another judgement about me.  You see, I attended meetings like this last year.  Some but not all of them were in these same meetings last year.  And, just like this year, I glazed over whatever the heck they were talking about.

They all know that I work for my boss and I'm coming up at the behest of my boss.  Sometimes he's there, sometimes he's too busy to attend.  On those days, I feel as though I'm an emissary, there to bring any important news from the meeting to him.  But within that partial aspect of my job, I get the feeling that the others feel that I am not just an emissary.  No, I'm an errand boy.

You see where I'm getting at?  He hired me.  Even though I know nothing about what they're talking about and can't contribute to the meeting at all, he sent me up there just in case.  I am completely unequipped, even bumfuzzled, as to what is going on.  And at the end of the meeting, if he's at the meeting, I follow him down to our floor.  That's the skill set of an errand boy.

My God, I am 41 damn years old and I'm following some dude like Lassie follows Timmy.  You know, if I just buckled down and went back to school, I could get a job where I don't follow someone around like my life depended on it.  Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment