Thursday, November 30, 2017

Oh Yeah, About That

I've been lucky the past several days because, frankly, I haven't done much.  Pushing buttons has been my job, especially yesterday (Wednesday).  In the meantime I'm waiting for IT to get me clearance to get into this program so I can print stuff.  It's been two days now.

I usually check in with my boss just as I am about to leave.  He asked me what I had done that day (Wednesday).  Seeing that he is my boss, I was kind of confused as to why he asked me what I was doing.  I told him the truth: That I was pushing buttons and am still waiting to get this technical bug fixed so I can start printing.  That's when I realized, "Oh, shit, I guess I could have called them to see how it's going."

See, if I had more stuff to do, I would be more focused and my mind would be sharper, and thus I would get on this deal with getting this clearance.  But because I had very little to do today (thank Buddha, again), the thought I once had during the day of dropping an e-mail and saying, "Hey, what's going on with this thing?" slipped my mind.  That's why I sometimes hate being lazy.  It's a downward spiral of inertia; if I'm not doing anything, I'm not going to do anything.

My boss told me that while IT is trying to fix the problem, I can ask him to come over and sign me in.  That was a thought, but like I said before, he's really busy, and I don't think I can just stomp into his office and prod him into doing something for me.  Now I wonder if it's going to boomerang on me, that in my fear of being yelled at for bossing my boss around, he'll just yell at me for not taking the initiative.  Saying that, he did warn me before that I could be more proactive in calling IT to get this bug fixed instead of having someone else do it for me, and so this might be, in his mind, another case of me being lazy.  Come to think of it, that's exactly what he's thinking.  Probably.

No comments:

Post a Comment