Thursday, November 2, 2017

So far the new job's been going good.  Not a whole lot to do the first day, but I have been assured that that will change.

Right now I have two anxieties.  One is that one of my supervisor caught me surfing the Internet (reading a story, not looking at anything sordid).  And I remember the sequence exactly: I was listening to satellite radio on my phone, I turn around to see her (I still can't get a desk that faces outward, dammit), I know she is saying something to me even though I can't hear what she's saying because I have my headphones on ... I turn back around and take five seconds to minimize the screen with the story I was reading.

Now, I've known these guys for three years now, so if they didn't like me on the Web, they wouldn't have brought me back.  Also, they warned me (as they have in previous years) that there would be down time, which this was.  But I kind of think that whenever someone asks me something right there in my cubicle, I would be a little hastier and not hide my screen as if I were feeling guilty.  And that's it -- I did two bad things.  Why not just turn around, take off my headphones, and talk to her, or take a millisecond to minimize my screen?  This way I look guilty and arrogant.

The other thing concerns my length of time here.  I got in touch with my supervisor for a brief meeting yesterday, and he warned me that there isn't a whole lot of stuff to do this year.  Basically I will be on call to do various sundry projects whenever (or if) they come up.  This raises something I need to go on a tangent about: My boss did confirm that he asked my friend to come back, but he got too busy with other work.  Well, he just said that there wasn't much to do.  Why would you need two people in order to do, uh, not a whole lot of work?

Anyway, we didn't discuss a drop-dead date.  But when I got a tag for my car in order to park, the person taking my photo said that tag was good through the end of January.  I was told by my temp contact that this is job is going through the end of February.  Well, which one is it?  I'm scared as hell that I'm there only till January.  Two years ago I started work there late September; last year I began mid-October; and this year I started on November 1.  I can see where this is going, especially if my boss warned me that there isn't a whole lot to do this year.

You know, I spent three years at the flu billing place before moving on.  I moved on from there because I no longer was going to take the abuse of the people working there, but it'll be my third year here, too.  I'm not stupid; sometimes I know when I have to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment