Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Oh, The Annual Christmas Song

Forgot about this tradition.

Frankly, I think I've gone through all the Christmas songs I love, so I'm going to start highlighting the ones I like, of which there are many.

As a tie-breaker, I go to the Billboard charts.  You may not know this, and I didn't until this week, but Billboard magazine has tweaked its formula for the Hot 100, aka The Singles Chart.  Christmas songs are everywhere, of course, but the mag usually did not count them because, well, radio stations change their format to Christmas every year, so the same songs crop up every year, and it's not fair for the same songs to dominate the chart every year around this time.  I actually think it's still a good idea.

However, with the advent of new ways songs are listened to, the very concept of popularity had to be reckoned with.  And, eventually, Billboard had to face the fact that the Hot 100 has to reflect the songs most popular that week, regardless of whether or not they've been heard every year around this time of year for the past half-century.  So they've built in formulae for streaming as well as radio play (and, to a much lesser extent, sales) and have, for a while now, given us a new formula to tabulate most popular singles.

As of press time, the #1 song in the Singles Chart is, you guessed it, "All I Want For Christmas Is You," by Mariah Carey.  But I spoke about this earworm to end all earworms before on WAF.  I'll go to the next most-popular Christmas song and at #2, by golly, it's "Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree," by Brenda Lee.  A worthy song at #2:



No comments:

Post a Comment