Thursday, December 5, 2019

Man, I Can't Have Shitty Customer Service Extending To My Estate Planner Too, Can I?

Alright, so one of the benefits I signed up for for this year is legal services.  I've been looking at my future and, well, a time in which I won't be on this temporal plane and I think I need to plan things.  What those things are, I don't know.  I don't have much, and yet I've been told that I should get my affairs in order, however meager that may be.  And before even that, I should draw up a will and living will, in case something bad happens to me.

It is for those reasons that I signed up for this benefit, even though I doubt many people at the company did the same.  And procrastinating me, I finally got around to doing it around Thanksgiving.  I knew the back of my mind there's a possibility this was going to take some time, and yet I still waited until the end of the year.  And I did not pay for legal for next year.

My first call to my HR hotline gave me a list of law firms that contract through my benefits.  It just so happens that one is in the highrise as my therapist, so I left a message for him.  He voicemails me back, and I finally get him.  And I get him at the wrong time -- he only has a couple minutes for me. 

OK.  I tell him my spiel, and he answers back, quickly, that the next thing I have to do is give him these numbers that the HR department e-mailed me.  And with that I thanked him and hung up.  He was a busy man.  He gave me the impression that he didn't even have time for a goodbye, so I didn't bid him goodbye.

Shit, man, if he doesn't have time for a quick call from me, how is he going to treat me and my five-figure estate, or listen to me while I fumble around gathering my thoughts about what I want to happen if I'm incapacitated due to an accident.  Granted, it doesn't help that I don't know how these things go.  (It didn't help either that the phone cut off in the middle of my call.)  But I don't like to be shoved out of a call like I was.  He could be smart as a whip, and everything could go smoothly (I just left him a message with the numbers he needed).  But I don't know if I like to be treated this way.

Well, I sort-of committed to him already.  Maybe I'll take another step, see where it goes.  But it may not matter.  He told me that he will give me time slots in which I can come in, and then he needs a week to draft the documents, then I sign.  Add Christmastime, and there's a very good chance this doesn't get done before the New Year, in which case I would then have to pay for his services, and I don't want to.  In other words, there's a chance all of this is for naught.  And boy, this guy will really be short with me then!

No comments:

Post a Comment