Thursday, December 26, 2019

Christmas Dinner Thoughts

I pride myself on eating everything that's put on my plate.  When I was young I didn't do that at all, and so my parents beat me until I did.

So it wounded my pride when I was told by my sister-in-law to throw away the rest of my dinner even though I was showing visible signs I wouldn't make it.  And I didn't.  Sure, I finished the prime rib.  But there were still green beans, Brussels sprouts and mashed potatoes I wanted to finish, and I frantically picked at them until my sister started commenting, and then I threw it away.  Didn't want to do it because that's wasting food, but (shrug)

---

Another thing.  I was nursing several drinks during the course of the visit.  I had a few glasses of wine, a Cherry Coke, and some water.  Oh, and I had a cup of tea, too.

After dessert we walked over to a different room to play board games.  I had the cup of tea that I was able to drink, but I thought about all the other drinks I had, namely the water in the red Solo cup and the stemmed glass with the wine that I bought for about $35 that still had, oh, three sips in it.  But the game were going to play involved throwing dice, and I didn't want to spill the glass of wine.  That glass and cup were going to be just fine on the dining room table.

No, it wasn't.  I got up after the game to sip the wine ... and the glass, as well as the cup, was gone.  And I saw two glasses in the shape of the wine glass I was using all afternoon and evening next to the sink, empty.

My sister-in-law's mother -- which makes her my ... aunt-in-law? -- probably did the Asian thing and cleaned up even though no one asked her, and even though I wasn't done with that wine.

Dammit, there was, like, three bucks' worth of wine I still wanted to drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment