Sunday, December 29, 2019

Will I Make A Mountain Out Of A Molehill? Will I Normalize?

OK, so my alma mater go their asses kicked Friday night.  We were all frustrated.  But there was one guy in our membership -- who I know has a temper -- started cutting open a vein on our Facebook.  But, I think, it went over the line.  Many of us are upset at the head coach, athletic director and new president.  But this guy, for no reason, started going after us, the membership.  He didn't name names, but he said, "If you still believe this is the right guy for the job, you're stupid."

I don't know really know what to do.  My first instinct was to, actually, like his post.  But then I thought to myself, "Wait a second ... who's 'you'?"  Is he referring to ... me?  That's when I started to believe he made it personal.

But I haven't made a post yet.  Because I'm afraid there are downsides no matter what I do, or don't do.  I could just let this slide.  But maybe the membership is actually insulted by what he said, and is hoping I step up.  And if I don't step up, I'll be seen as feckless and they'll turn away from the group because it'll feel mean and unwelcoming.  However, if I do say something, what do I say?  I'm ruling out trying to be conciliatory and compromising because that's so worthless I would be better off not saying anything.  But what is too forceful?  I do not want to add to the anger that this guy injected into our Facebook.  And I could, theoretically, be accused of thinking he is angrier than he actually is, and then he'll start accusing me of, well, being accusatory.  It is just one guy, but this is one guy who has been active in the membership, especially relative to others.  If I piss this guy off, it's over.  Or -- and I wish I weren't so scared of this -- he might come after me.

You know, I think the thing I need to not do is be afraid of people who might want to bully me.  If that's my guiding light, I'll have to say something, and I'll need to err on the side of overreacting.  I can understand anger.  But as President, I need to do what's best for the group, and I think it's fairly simple to understand that you don't turn your guns on the group, especially when they have little influence on the hiring or firing of the heads of a football team.

Man, I just wish grown-ups would know how to behave.  That's not too much to ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment