Friday, December 6, 2019

I Should Double-Dip More

So I am not working at my full-tie job tomorrow; as I am required, I am using my personal time off instead.  I get paid whenever I use it; that is a concept I did not understand until I got a job with benefits.  And that's really cool, getting paid while not working.

And it may have taken me a little longer to put two and two together, but once I came to grips that I would have to miss work because of my commitments on the weekends to both my alumni club and Vikings Games, I realized that I can turn this into an advantage.  To put a finer point on it, I could use my paid time off in order to work somewhere else.  And I did that to huge effect back in April; I took off four days in order to work the Final Four.  Thus, I double-dipped; I worked for TV for six straight days (where I pulled down some massive checks; TV money flows freely) and I got paid for taking time off away from my job.  I got paid for two jobs for that week, and I was only in one place!

Something similar happens tomorrow.  In the late summer, before the NFL season began, I was asked by TV if I could help with Vikings Games on Sundays.  Since I don't work at my job Sundays, I said yes to all the Games they broadcast.  However, my contact then asked if I could be a runner for the Saturdays before those Games.  I checked the calendar at work; although it was months away, by the time I checked the calendar, I was assigned to specific departments on the Saturdays before Vikes Games, and to me, I felt as though I was committed to working my job when I saw those assignments.

There was one exception: December 7.  I was not assigned anywhere, according to the calendar.  When I am not assigned anywhere on the calendar, I assume I am at my "default" position, Data Entry.  And while Saturdays get very hairy when it comes to work (we're not crushed with applications; it's just that fewer people work on Saturday because, well, it's Saturday), I felt like there would still be enough people to work Data Entry that I could break away from work, just for that one Saturday, work TV for the Vikes' Game, and double-dip.  And so I am able to pull off this smart move again.

Now, when I committed to working the "set" day as well as the game day, it was before Labor Day.  Things change.  The company went through a spate of departures.  And while my boss was able to hire someone who holds a similar position as I, it looks as though that, if I were not working the Vikings for television tomorrow, I would be assigned to the same department I had been working the past three days.  (Since I am away, one of the people who works this department full-time is coming in and getting overtime for it.)  But I wasn't assigned anywhere specifically when I was asked by TV, so I took it off instead.

No regrets.  Don't feel guilty.  Like I said, I think this is smart.  I should do this more often.  For example, the NCAA Wrestling Championships is coming to U. S. Bank Stadium for three days in March.  If I can find the crew who hires for that, and if I can contact those people, and I get hired, I'll take however many days off in order to work it.  I could use the money, and "being in two places at once" is a great way to make it.

---

One thing: For the past few years, there has been one guy, just one dude, who has worked as the two-day runner for this network's Vikings Games.  He has been there long enough whereby I presume that the contact would just go to that person and ask him if he can work weekends whenever they come in.  But like I said, this contact asked me if I can work any of those weekends.  It feels as though she approached me first, not this regular.

I saw the production sheet; he will be working as a runner, but just for Sunday.  He has to be thinking, "Why am I not working Saturday for the Lions Game?"  He probably also saw the sheet and saw me -- a guy who usually just does statistics -- doing his job instead.

Is he jealous?  Is he mad?  Will he take it out on me when he sees me Sunday?  You don't know people.

No comments:

Post a Comment